In 1906, economist Vifred Pareto developed the 80:20 rule which states that 80% of effects come from 20% of the causes. Pareto came to this conclusion after observing 80% of the land in his hometown was owned by only 20% of the population.
Examples of the 80:20 Rule
- 80% of television is watched on 20% of the channels
- 80% of software problems are caused by 20% of the bugs
- 80% of sales come from 20% of customers
- 20% of society holds 80% of the wealth
- 20% of your wardrobe is worn 80% of the time